We are ready. We are excited. We have missed you and can't wait to have you back to welcome you to the 2017-18 school year.
As I prepare for the start of every school year, and even my 21st, I get a strong sense of hope for our future. The beginning of something allows us to refresh our ways, reflect on the potential and set new goals. Simon Sinek's quote resonates with me as I script my ideals for a great school year. "The goal is not to be perfect by the end. The goal is to be better today." As middle schoolers navigate the storm of adolescents, they will quickly be discouraged if they don't hit the mark perfectly or if they don't feel they measure up to their peers. Our role at Sky Vista is to Inspire excellence in every student, every day. We don't interpret excellence as perfect. We use excellence as knowing it was the best we gave at that given moment. We want to instill in our students the sense of pride and celebrate growth and learning.
Not an easy task and I can't promise we will be perfect at the end. What I can say, is Sky Vista has the most talented, passionate and caring staff that is willing to provide every opportunity for our students to become successful. These individuals embrace our common values: know every student, challenge and expect every student to achieve at a high level, model kindness and respect, develop and maintain relationships, learn, reflect, grow. These educators come to the table each day to give their best because they hold the same hope for our child as you and I do. I encourage you to come see them in action and if you can't, ask your child what they love about their teachers (and please share with me!)
We will kick off this year of learning on Monday, August 14th at 8:50 am. We have some important dates for you to be aware of for a smooth start.
- Online check-in opened on July 1st. Visit http://my.cherrycreekschools.org to complete the Parent Online check-in forms. Parents who have completed this process in prior years need to use the same username and password. Please call us if you need any assistance. Students must be checked-in prior to the start of school.
- 6th Grade WEB Orientation – August 10th 8:50-3:45. More information is being sent to 6th grade families regarding this day. Students will receive their schedules and transportation is provided for our bus riders.
- SVMS Open House – August 11th 1:00-4:00 pm. 7th and 8th grade students will receive their schedules via email prior to the start of Open House. All students and families are welcome to come and walk their schedule, prep their locker and get acclimated to SVMS (again).
- Back To School Night – August 24th 6:00 pm. Please hold that date on your calendars and more details to come.
- Visit our website skyvista.cherrycreekschools.org for our complete calendar of events.
Our guests, Middle School #11, are getting settled and ready to welcome their first class of 6th graders. We look forward to a strong relationship with them to ensure all students have a great year.
Please don't forget we had a change in our school day times. We start at 8:50 am and end at 3:45 pm. We will have the café open at 8:00 am each morning. Our late shuttles will run Mon-Thurs (no Fridays) for students participating in athletics, activities or tutorials.
Make some more memories this summer and we will see you soon!